Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Alligator walk

Today I was faced with the first exercise that I simply could not finish. As I've admitted in the past, I don't do well with push-ups. I can do approximately 10 before I have to drop to my knees.

Part of me wonders if I'm simply giving up too early or if it's something more. I've even started the hundredpushups program to see if I can improve my push-up. Plus, it's not only the push-ups, it's anything that's done with a starting push-up stance.

As the trainer is showing us each station, everyone groans as soon as he says alligator walk. They haven't done it in a while (I've been there since November and never done it yet....). I have no idea what it is, so I'm curious. Then when I see him demonstrate it, I groan in unison with the rest of the group.

You start off in a push-up position, and put your feet on sliders (little disks that you put your feet on to drag them) and walk with your arms from one end of the gym to the other. This is the best picture I could find demonstrating it. Basically you are walking in the push-up position, dragging your feet, so only using your arms, to get from one end of the gym to the next.


I couldn't do it. I went there and back ONCE. That was it. The other two rounds I did mountain climbers. I felt weak. I was disappointed in myself. I should have tried to do it again. Hopefully this push-up program I am doing will really help and next time Armand says Alligator Walk I will be anxious to see if I can do it and not groan with everyone else.

3 people had this to say:

Teresa said...

OMG does that workout sound hard. Pushups are not my best friend either. Congrats on giving it a go. I'm sure you'll be doing that alligator walk in on time at all. Keep up the great work.

Malinda said...

OMG that would be a very difficult move to do... don't they offer a modification to help you work towards the full on alligator push-ups???

what if you did this with the slider under your knees?

you shouldn't be so hard on yourself and comparing yourself to others... i know I"m guilty of it too more often then I'd like to admit but you know... you're freaking there and your working hard and you're doing it one step, one workout at a time and that's all that matters. My hot sweat kick me in the butt yoga class is fantastic but what I think I love more then anything is that inevitably at one point or another in the workout we are reminded by Ann that what you are capable of on this day in this workout is an individual thing and you should not compare yourself to anyone else or your abilities on any other day.

desajair said...

Wow. I don't even think I could get in the STARTING position for that move. It looks like one of those advanced exercises you already have to be in a certain shape for--so if you can already do it--WOW!!!

AND You're inspiring me to get back to my own workouts and not eat too much birthday cake today. I have to keep up with you! Maybe some day we can REALLY do a half marathon together (instead of, you know, getting pregnant LOL)